Do you feel comfortable that you know where you are when you’re boating? Want to improve your positioning skills? These seminars will help you know where you’re at while boating.
- Using GPS on your boat is different than using GPS in your car. Learn how to store waypoints into your GPS, activate them for navigation, and use GPS to keep you on a safe, pre-qualified course of your choosing with the Using GPS seminar.
- The NOAA Chart No. 1 is THE reference to chart details, but is very difficult to understand. The How to Use a Chart seminar walks you through what you really need to know about chart details in an entertaining and interesting fashion.
- Today, electronics have radically changed navigation, but understanding the basics helps you gain confidence in your equipment and your own skills. Basic Coastal Navigation, being replaced by Introduction to Navigation, will show you practical techniques to plan, navigate, and check your progress on the water.
- The marine compass is still the boater’s primary navigation tool, and an essential tool when all else fails. Mariner's Compass explains how to select, install, calibrate and use your compass on board your boat.
- Not sure who has the right of way when passing a sailboat or a powerboat? Unsure of the sometimes complex law relating to boat operation for the recreational boater? Mastering the Rules of the Road provides an explanation with examples of the 37 Rules of the Road for both the U.S. Inland Rules and the International Rules (COLREGS) in a simplified fashion.
- Thinking of adding a RADAR to your boat, or have one that you’re a little afraid of using when needed most? Marine Radar covers how radar functions, radar selection, operation of the radar under various conditions including setting of controls, display interpretation, basic navigation, and collision avoidance using radar.
Where Can I Take a Seminar?
If one or more of these seminars interest you, locate a seminar in your area. If you're a USPS member, contact your Squadron Educational Officer and take a seminar at your squadron rate. We hope to see you soon!