Boat Operator CertificationGet Information
USPS certifies members at various levels of recreational boating proficiency. The entry level course described below is designed to get you behind the wheel of a powerboat so you can learn the skills needed to operate it properly. The course material covers:
- Engine controls and transmission: Systems, Equipment and starting checks. PFD and use of kill switch. Use of throttle. Shifting gears. Safe transition from low to high speed.
- Undocking and docking: Leave a dock or slip (use of spring lines). Return to a dock or slip. Securing the boat to a dock or slip. Essential knots.
- Low Speed Boat Handling Skills: Back a boat, Pivot turn, Minimum control speed. Low speed turns/collision avoidance, Holding position, steer a range, anchor a boat. safer and more comfortable.
- Course skills: Slalom forward slow, Slalom astern, Slalom (controlled and on plane turns). Departure from and return from a mooring.
- On Plane Skills: Constant radius turn, Use of bearing to avoid collisions. High speed stop
- Increased confidence on the water: Passing courses builds confidence in your abilities.
- USPS Boat Insurance Discounts: The discounts increase as you pass more Boat Operator Certification courses. Learn more
- Renting or chartering boats: : Renting, chartering or leasing a boat (especially in another country).
Required USPS Courses
- USPS or NASBLA approved (i.e. Coast Guard Auxillary, etc.) safe boating course
- Engine Maintenance
- Marine Electronics or Marine Electrical Systems
- How to Use a Chart (or Piloting course or Chart Smart, or Boating courses)
- Basic Weather and Forecasting or Onboard Weather Forecasting (or Weather course or Weather Modules)
- Using GPS (or the new Piloting or Advanced Piloting courses)
- VHF Radio and VHF/DSC Marine Radio (or Marine Electronics 102 or Marine Communications Systems)
- Basic Powerboat Handling skill demonstration or US Sailing Safe Powerboat Handling on-the-water program
- Use of Fire Extinguishers
- Inland Waterways (Navigating Rivers, Dams and Locks seminar)
- Paddle craft (canoes and kayaks) - Paddle Smart seminar
- Sailboating (or Sail or Sail Modules)
Start your Jouney to become a Certified Boat Operator!
Get the details and scheduleGet Information