The TOP TEN reasons for taking a Power Squadron training course:
10. Night out – It’s winter (almost). No better way to reminisce, have some fun, and enjoy boat talk.
9. Recognition – advancing in grade. It really felt good when I got that JN grade.
8. Learning from the experiences of fellow members. There’s no better way to learn than from the “I woulda, shoulda, coulda” that accompany the formal instruction in our classes.
7. Review. How long ago was it that you took a boating related course?
6. Family members can be brought up to speed.
5. Core competencies and collective readiness. The Marine Corps understands the importance of training. So should we.
4. New material in revised courses. All of the navigation courses (Piloting through Navigation) have been revised and modernized. I took AP back in the mid seventies. Upon getting re-instated a couple years back I took the beta AP course – to re-acquaint myself with the rigors of navigation and to learn the new techniques brought to us through the Global Position System (GPS). Well worth it.
3. To gain expertise. The USPS courses are first class and well worth your investment of time. Coupling the intellect gained in our classes with on the water practice results in a boater well qualified.
2. The opportunity to improve one’s boating knowledge. Knowledge goes right along with expertise. I’ve often thought about the celestial courses that we teach – and why we need them in an age of GPS. Covey calls it sharpening the saw, others call it continuous learning. Any way you look at it, keeping your mind sharp by participating in our training is a good thing.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON IS:
DRUM ROLL PLEASE
1. Consistent with previous years, 90% of reported fatalities occurred on boats where the operator had not received boating safety instruction. http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_statistics.aspx
A smart boater is a safe boater.
Boating Safety Sidekicks – A web site for kids from the National Safe Boating Council
Come for the Boating Education...Stay for the FriendsSM