Savannah's Boating Club
Dedicated to Boater Education and Safe Recreational Boating since 1957
Education Opportunities for Members
This course combines an excellent USA Today text with excellent illustrations and sidebars that work well on two levels. For the beginner, it makes the concepts clear without being technically incorrect. For the more experienced person, it shows all the detail that has been learned in the last decade with Doppler radar, better computers and more sophisticated satellites.
Next, we have a Power Squadron book that tailors the general weather content to boating issues such as reading weather charts and reports. It covers:
· Weather fundamentals: highs and lows, fronts and troughs, jet stream, fog
· Weather maps: how to interpret forecast charts and descriptions
· Forecasting: how it is done, what is predictable and what is not.
Instructor Development (ID)
Unlike other USPS courses, ID is not designed to enhance boating skills. Rather, it deals with effective communications for speaker and teacher - a quality that benefits the individual in all walks of life. It offers practical instruction in:
· Preparing for teaching assignments
· Preparing for meeting presentations
· Effective teaching techniques
· Conducting efficient meetings
· Selection and use of audio-visual aids.
USPS seminars are targeted to specific boating topics and needs, with a two-hour format and valuable take-away guides, and are open to USPS members as well as the public. Currently, USPS offers the
following seminars: Seminars listed in Blue are links for pre-registration.
Advanced Powerboat Handling Anchoring
Basic Coastal Navigation Boat Handling Under Power
How to Use a Chart Hurricanes and Boats
Knots, Bends, and Hitches for Mariners Marine RADAR
Mariners Compass Mastering the Rules of the Road
Onboard Weather Reporting Paddle Smart
Partner in Command Sail Trim and Rig Tuning
Trailering Your Boat Using GPS
Using VHF and VHF/DSC Radio
Boat Operator Certification Program
Inland Navigator (IN) Requirements
· NASBLA-approved safe boating course
· Seamanship (or S101 and S102)
· Engine Maintenance (EM)
· Marine Electronics (ME) (or ME101 or ME Systems).
· How to Use a Chart (CHT) (or Piloting (P) or Chart Smart or Boating)
· Onboard Weather Forecasting (WF) (or Weather (WX) or Weather Modules)
· Using GPS (GPS) (or Piloting (P) or Advanced Piloting (AP))
· VHF Radio and VHF/DSC Marine Radio (or ME102 or Marine Communications Systems)
· 2 additional seminars or 1 additional course.
· BPH Basic Powerboat Handling skill demonstration or US Sailing Safe Powerboat Handling on-the-water program
· FE Use of Fire Extinguishers.
· IW Inland Waterways (Navigating Rivers, Dams and Locks seminar)
· PAD Paddle craft (canoes and kayaks) Paddle Smart seminar
· SA Sail boating (or Sail or Sail Modules).
Note: The SA endorsement is required to be IN and CN certified to operate a sailboat. The PAD endorsement is required to be
IN and CN certified to operate a paddle craft.
Coastal Navigator (CN) Requirements
· IN Certification
· Piloting (P)
· Marine Electronics (ME) (or ME102 or Marine Communication Systems)
· Cruise Planning (CP)
· Using Radar (RAD)
· The Mariner's Compass (COMP)
· 2 additional seminars or one course
· NAV On-Water Navigation
· PD Use of Pyrotechnic Distress Signals
· CAN Canadian Regulations
· MEX Mexican Regulations